My name is Amy and I’m a writer

1f845d6362e743733bdecbdd1cf8dd11

Ok, so I’m not the greatest at this whole social internet, networking thing. I’m from a time when there was no internet. I’ll pause while you pick the pieces of your blown mind up from the floor and collect yourself. (My fellow Generation Xers are smiling here–we like to point out to the hipsters that the world has not always been what it is today–sort of like my father talking about that time before television–but I digress–as a “disaffected and directionless” member of the X squad is wont to do.)

Anyway, as I learn to be better at this end of the writing game, I come across tidbits and tips that help me, so I figure they will help you to. I was tuned in to Anne R. Allen’s Blog…with Ruth Harris by Julie Gwinn at the Seymour Agency via her Twitter post on helping new writers start a blog. I am currently going through this 20 step program on making a better blog.

On this journey, I came across the Insecure Writers Support Group. I don’t think of myself as insecure, but aren’t we all every now and then, especially those of us crazy enough to pursue a writing career? I’m so glad I found this site. It’s bursting at the seams with tips, contests, editor and agent information, articles and best of all…other writers!

Writing is a solitary pursuit and the typical nature of a writer is to persist in a state of solitary confinement. So this social networking game doesn’t come naturally to all of us. Until, that is, we stop and realize that much of it is, in fact, right in our wheelhouse–writing, sharing experience, imagining the world in a way that connects us to others and others to us.

I am currently finishing step 3 and my eyes have scanned far enough down into step 4 to pick up the words “zombies could invade the second draft…”

If you don’t hear from me soon…

9 comments for “My name is Amy and I’m a writer

1. October 6, 2015 at 1:58 am

Love this, Amy. As a fellow Xer/cusp of Boomer, I get you. Thanks for the links and thoughts.

2. October 7, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Great article. Nice to meet you. My name is Teresa and I’m a writer–too! 🙂

3. October 7, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Great article. It’s nice to meet you! My name is Teresa and I’m a writer…too!

4. madilynquinn01
    October 7, 2015 at 5:30 pm

I’m not the best at this social networking thing either. Maybe I should check out those links you are! (And hey, I remember a time before everyone had cellphones, though I remember having dial-up when I was like.. seven or something? That screeching noise is hard to forget.)

– Madilyn Quinn @ NovelBrews

• October 8, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Dial-up! Yes! The world is a different place! I’m trying to program my time machine to catch up with everyone! I guess I’m doing good to even have a time machine. LOL.

5. October 8, 2015 at 1:11 am

We have a lot in common. I’m a writer, too! It’s like a badge of honour.

• October 8, 2015 at 2:32 am

Yes, it Is! Thank you for visiting and I look forward to seeing what you are doing too!